Monday, April 30, 2012

Hard at Work!

I have been busy lately working on a Charity event with my family in my brother Jake's honor. I have not shared very openly about how my brother died because it has been so painful for me. After many months of prayer and consideration our family feels that it is now time to open up and talk to others about his death so that we can raise awareness and help others in need.

On June 19th, 2011 my handsome, sweet, funny, charismatic, loving brother at just 20 years old took his own life. I don't have the words to adiquitely describe what pain and devistation his death and how he died has impacted our family. We will NEVER be the same, we have felt devistated, heart broken, confused, sad, angry, and helpless. Through this trial and tragedy we have seen the Lords hand through the countless friends and family who have carried us through these past ten months. We have held tight to our FAITH because it is the only way we will get through this and it is only through the Savior Jesus Christ that we can heal. With the heartache there has been an overwhelming sense of peace, we know where Jake is, we know he has returned home to the loving arms of our Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ, and we KNOW we will see him again.

I never in a million years would have thought my brother would take his life. There are still many days that I think to myself, "I can't BELIEVE this happened, I can't BELIEVE he is REALLY gone." In the past ten months I have learned a lot about myself, my family, my spirituality, and a lot about my brother. Having experienced loosing someone so close to me, so important to me, I have gained a different perspective on life and my priorities have changed. Loosing my brother in this way has changed me. In some ways I will admit I am jaded, I am angry, hurt, and absolutly terrified of ever loosing someone close to me again. But with the bad there has come good. I have learned that life is fragile and we need to not take anything for granted. We need to build strong family bonds and express to the one's we love what they mean to us. We need to keep our priorities in check and we need to seek after righteous desires.

On June 23rd in Lincoln, California we are hosting a Mud-Run in honor of my brother Jake and two other boys, Aldo and Travis, who both went to High School with Jake, and who both took their lives as well. All three of these boys passed away last summer within weeks of each other. Their families have come together with ours to plan this event to raise awareness for suicide prevention. I am so grateful for the friendship and love our family has experienced with these two families. Never would you want to have to come together for this purpose, but I do believe the Lord has lead us to each other to help one another heal. The idea behind the "Mud-Run" is that life gets muddy and dirty at times, life is hard, but even when times are tough you can find joy in your trials, you can find joy in the journey even when the circumstances are not perfect, life is always worth living! If you would like to find out how you can participate or donate to this cause please contact me at courtbritt@gmail.com

the website will be up and running soon as well... www.mud-run-4-life.org

or visit our facebook event page... mud-run-4-life

2 comments:

Janineg said...

brittany, you and your family have gone through so much! i really admire your faith and i know that it has been very hard but through it you are doing amazing things. the world is a better place because you are here.

Jaymie and Justin said...

I can't imagine how hard this has been for your family. I am impressed at how you have taken this difficult trial and organized a mud run to raise awareness. Your family is amazing!