Monday, September 20, 2010

Herriman Fire

Just this last weekend we were out in Herriman, Utah looking at homes. Late last night Court and I were watching the news and we were shocked to hear about the horrible forest fire that started yesterday and spread into many Herriman neighborhoods, article on I am so sad for all of these families that have either lost their homes or been evacuated from them. I can't imagine the devastation of not knowing if you will have a house to go home to. These families will most definitely be in our prayers. I personally have two friends that live in the area and have had to evacuate their homes.

When I was 12 years old we had a fire in my home in Denver, Colorado. It was the day after Halloween and my brother who was 4 at the time had pulled a left over candle out of one of our pumpkins. Somehow he got ahold of a lighter and lit the candle. He came into the family room to show my mom, she immediately made him blow it out, but what she didn't know was that he had lit 2 candles. Well he didn't want to get in trouble and was only 4 years old so he hid the second candle in our baby brothers bedroom under the crib, our baby brother was asleep in the crib at the time. I can remember hearing my baby brother screaming, but my mom said that he was trying to go to sleep and she was letting him cry it out for a little while, obviously she didn't know what was going on. Probably about ten minutes later my dad came in the house and had a strong impression to check on the baby, he opened the bedroom door to find the crib engulfed in flames, all of the bedding was on fire, and the fire was spreading up the walls of the room, EXCEPT for one small spot on the bed, the spot where my baby brother was laying didn't have any flames, he was protected and safe. You can't tell me that there weren't angels in that room that day protecting my sweet innocent baby brother!

I haven't thought about the fire we had in our home for quit awhile, until now. I am broken hearted for these families in Herriman! Having a fire in your home, big or small is a very scary experience for a child/family. I can remember having to stay in a hotel for a week before we could go back home and then once we were allowed back in our house we had all kind of crews working on our home for weeks! I vividly remember them cleaning our entire house with this strange orange cleaner and for MONTHS our food had a strange taste to it. It was a very horrible and scary experience. My heart goes out to these families and I pray that has many homes as possible can be saved!!!

Whenever there is a disaster like this it really gets me thinking about what I would do in an emergency situation. I know I would hope I was prepared for it! It's about time I finish up my family emergency binder!!!
Click here to see my post on how to make a FAMILY EMERGENCY BINDER

No comments: