Monday, July 4, 2011

A Priceless Gift...

(my brothers Jake and Devon, with Jake's best friend)


The night before my brother Jake's funeral both my brother Ryan and I recieved this beautiful email. I am amazed at some people's amazing gift with words. This letter is so priceless to us and has brought us so much peace...

The email was titled... {I Will Never Stop Praying}

I was going to write a letter and send it, but it seems that technology is a lot easier to get a hold of the people that I am trying to reach.

I met Jake Garrett Waterlyn over a month ago, when he moved in with Tyler Melvin (my boyfriend), when I met him I could not believe the spirit that he brought into a room. Jake would always fill the room with laughter and smiles, no matter where it was. We had a couple conversations about his life. He talked about the church, trek and all of his beliefs that followed. He talked about his beautiful mother who he admired deeply for the love that she gave him growing up; he talked about his dad being the biggest influence in his life. He talked about growing up with an amazing family that was very close because of God; he told me stories about his siblings that made me laugh until I cried. He talked about his family a lot; he told me that his brother Ryan was a very strong role model in his life. That even growing up, no matter how much they would fight, they were always close in a special way. He told me that his mother would do just about anything to make you smile and his father would always have the best advice. He was the happiest person, who hardly had anything bad to say. Every time that I was visiting Tyler, he would dance, sing and the funniest thing that he did was his impression of an old guy with a cane dancing to music. Jake was a perfect soul, who made a giant impression in my heart. He made me feel better every time I would see his beautiful smile. Jake talked about wanting a family just like his, he talked about going on a mission one day, and he talked about the love that he shared with the Lord. He would read his scriptures and pray almost every night before going to sleep. Jake is a beautiful, loving and warm soul that I will never forget. The night before his passing, Jake went to Schlotsky’s sandwich diner with me, Tyler and Tyler’s friend Colton. We ate delicious sandwiches and Jake talked about making videos of him skate boarding. Jake told me that one day he would be famous for his talents and that he would make sure to share the wealth with his friends and family.

Jake shared with me his absolute favorite poem...

Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.”


I know that Jake is at peace with God. He is looking down on his family and friends, trying to help them understand. He was so young and so full of spirit and that spirit will go on through everyone that he touched in his life. There are no answers to why this happened, only the faith that it was his time to be with God. Please remember to be strong and to remember him for all of the good he did for people. I only knew him for about a month, but he will forever be in my heart. He will forever be remembered as the most beautiful soul that I have ever met. I am so sorry for your loss and I have not stopped praying and I will never stop praying for you...Amber

2 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

what a gift, what a sweet sweet letter.

your posts are so beautiful Brittney, i can see the hand of the Lord in your lives, because of the way you have recorded these things. You are so good at recognizing His presence, and although I am sure it doesn't lessen the pain, I am inspired by your ability to do it.

xoxo

Amber Wheeler said...

Thank you for sharing my words. I really do hope they made and still make a difference